|Where are your goals taking you?
Who is an AVID Student?
AVID students are students in the academic middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. These students often are not realizing their full potential academically. In the identification process a number of criteria are considered, including:
· State Test Scores
· Desire and Determination
· First in Family to Attend College
· Historically Underrepresented in 4-year Colleges
· Economically Disadvantaged
· Other Special Circumstances
While all of the criteria are considered for acceptance into the program, no single criteria will necessarily eliminate a student from consideration. The AVID program should reflect the demographics of the school it is serving.
Students participating in special education, gifted and talented programs, and ELL will be considered for AVID based on the criteria listed above. Currently, there are a number of students from these groups successfully participating in the AVID program.
Once Selected for AVID, What are the Student Requirements?
AVID students must:
· attend an AVID elective class
· enroll in one or more advanced academic class (Pre-AP or AP at the High School level and honors classes at the Middle Level) each semester
· maintain satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes
· maintain the AVID binder with assignment/grade record sheets and daily notes in all classes
· complete all homework assignments and commit to studying every night
What AVID Is:
· an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination
· an in-school academic support program for grades 4 – 12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success
· for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle
· implemented school-wide and district-wide
What AVID Is Not:
· a remedial program
· a free ride
· a school within a school
· a quick fix
· an affirmative action program
Find out more about AVID at http://www.avid.org/abo_whatisavid.html
CFNC helping you plan, pay and apply to college http://www.cfnc.org/index.jsp
Jacksonville Commons Middle School AVID Site Team Members
Amber Laurence-Assistant Principal
B.B. Cole - Assitant Principal
Shannon Williams-AVID Coordinator & 6th Grade AVID Elective Teacher
Michelle Napier-7th Grade AVID Elective Teacher
Stephanie Washington-7th Grade AVID Elective Teacher
Garry Laws-8th Grade AVID Elective Teacher
Heather Kelly - 8th Grade AVID Elective Teacher
Mary Downing-Content Area Teacher